Coffee Sponge Cake
This is a very soft & moist cake. Indeed a recipe to keep...
This recipe was adapted from Kitchen Capers posted by Gina.
120 gm flour
120 ml whipping cream
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp of instant coffee powder
2 tbsp of hot water
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tatar
130 gm sugar (I used 100 gm)
- Mix warm coffee with whipping cream & stir till its evenly mixed. It should smell like cafe latte & has a nice brown color.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tatar & sugar till it peaks.
- Then add egg yolks, one at the time & continue to whisk till its well blended.
- The batter should look silky smooth & yellow in color.
- Add coffee milk & continue to whisk till its well combined.
- Turn off the cake mixer & fold in flour till its well combined.
- Pour batter into cake pan. (I used a square tin)
- Bake at preheated oven 180 C for 20 minutes then reduce heat to 170 C for another 10 minutes or till done.
- Remove from the oven & cool completely before slicing.