Chocolate Almond Cakes
12 ounces (336 gm) butter, room temperature
1 pound (450 gm) almond paste (I use ground almond )
1 3/4 cups (306 gm) sugar
3/4 cup (94 gm) flour plus 2 tbsp cocoa powder
8 large eggs
4 ounces (112 gm) dark chocolate, melted
- For the cake: You will need a half-sheet pan 12"x17"x1". Line the pan with parchment paper. Butter & flour the parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter & almond paste together on medium speed for about 5 minutes until it is very light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Add sugar & flour, cocoa & continue blending together on low speed.
- Increase speed to medium & add the eggs one a time, letting each egg incorporate before adding the next.
- Let the batter mixing for a couple more minutes until it has lightened in color.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan & spread evenly. Bake for about 25 minutes, unitl the center is just set - it may feel slightly spongy but skewer inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven & place on cooling rack. After cooling, put the cake into refrigerator for about 20 minutes before you cut it as it will be quite soft & moist.
- To glaze cakes: Using a 2 1/2" cutter or any size u desired of your choice, cut out shapes from the cake.
- Brush or pour some of the melted chocolate over cut out cakes. Let the cake sit for a few minutes for the chocolate to set. Chill in refrigerator before serve.